Preventing your student from harming themselves or others
- Do not leave them alone.
- Take their words seriously and respond with compassion.
- Encourage them to seek immediate help from one of the following:
- their doctor
- the nearest emergency room
- Wayne State Police, if on campus (313) 577-2222
- 911, if off campus
- Remove access to any tools for suicide, such as firearms and medications.
- Call Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at 313-577-3398 for a confidential consultation with a counselor.
- If after hours, call 313-577-9982 for CAPS after hour services.
- Please note that all services at CAPS are voluntary and strictly confidential. Should you request any updates about a student you referred to CAPS for suicide risk, the student would have to provide written permission on a Release of Information Form to release any protected health information.
- Additional Resource: the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255) available 24 hours a day. All calls are confidential. Call to ask confidential questions about someone you think may be at risk.