FREE Group Counseling Available for Currently Registered WSU Students
- Enrollment is easy and can be made directly through CAPS
- Most groups meet weekly for 60-90 minutes
- If you are interested in joining one of our current groups, please come in to CAPS to complete a triage assessment, or speak with your current counselor about group referrals
Why Join a Group?
- Groups are often more effective than working by yourself in one-on-one counseling, especially for the types of concerns university students face
- You can practice new skills in the safety of the group before trying them out in the world
- You can learn more about how you interact in social situations
- You can discuss issues with your peers who may better understand what you are going through
- You may discover that you are not alone in how you feel and you will benefit from a process of enhanced acceptance
- You can gain multiple persepectives on your concerns from different group members
- You may become more aware of yourself through genuine feedback from others
- You can pick up new interpersonal skills that you can use in your daily life
- Not only will group help you, you will have the chance to help others
For many types of problems, group therapy is the treatment of choice. Groups provide the opportunity to observe others solving their problems. Groups are also helpful in building trust, self-acceptance, intimacy, communication skills, and empathy.